THE SECRET TO HAPPINESS IS TO ENJOY THE PASSAGE OF TIME

Sunday, June 18, 2006

some really great dads








Here are some of my most favorite dads.
My husband, Kenny is in a word amazing. He took all four boys on a bike ride today (Brooks in a backpack), Elliot on his training wheel bike and a bungee cord available for those times when Elliot's little legs just can't seem to make the pedals go 'round. I love, truly love watching him father our sons. He delights in their strengths, he is patient and works to better their weaknesses and he appreciates what makes each of them so unique. Brooks, the OOOPS! of the family, has Kenny wrapped around his little finger. Talk about a daddy's boy......after returning from the bike ride today Kenny came upstairs with Brooks still in the backpack and began to manuever him out of the contraption. Having not seen the boys for the last hour and a half I was all "sweet talking" Brooks, "Hello Brooksie, I love you, did you have fun with Daddy, wanna come see mama......" As Kenny handed him to me, relieved to be rid of a sweaty 25 extra pounds on his back, Brooks erupts in protest! reaching longingly for da da, as if I was the evil witch of Escondido. Good grief. But to see a 17 month old recognize that his father is one amazing individual, makes the rejection seem trivial compared to the love a son can have for a dad.

My daddy, Don is one of a kind. He's cool and funny, tender and teasing all in one. And he adores his kids and grandkids. Most grandparents love their grandkids but with Daddy, it's more than that. You see, he loves the "father" role so much that he's partly in denial that his grandkids are just his grandkids. He usually acts as if we (Kenny, myself, Mom & Dad) are all kinda co-parenting together. For instance, I took the boys in to get haircuts last week and Dad (& mom, she's guilty too-it's just not the day to focus on her!) felt the need to call and inform me exactly how he wanted the boys hair to look. Dad never tires of knowing almost every detail of the boys lives, he worries about their safety, their clothing-are they dressed warm enough?, their bedtimes and such....but I know it's all out of an love that goes deeper than my years can understand. It is said that actions speak louder than words. What a truism with my daddy. He gives of his time weekly, if not daily, his actions of love are too many ways to list. I love you Daddy and the way you show your love for me by loving my boys.

Kenny's dad, David, is an incredible person. If I had to describe his example as a father in a word, it would be "wise". It's a wisdom I know if he ever were to read this, he would credit many others for, especially emphasizing his own father. And the fact that he would credit others is once again wise. As a father, he was patient and a good listener. He seems to have worked hard on perfecting an area many of us struggle in, being slow to speak and slow to become angry. His understanding of God's plan for our lives has given him wisdom to parent his kids with their eternity in mind, not just the day to day obstacles that seem to dictate how parents parent today. We still have much to learn from David, but I am thankful for what he has passed down to Kenny through his example and his love.

My brother, Byron, is relatively new to the game of fatherhood (almost 3 years) but I have no doubt he will make one of the best dads ever. There are a lot of things Byron doesn't concern himself too much with but what he cares about, he passionately cares about and works to no end to excel. Church & ministering to those God has put in his life, being a good husband to his wife, Sharla, coaching and his kids at Belton, maintaining friendships with college buddies, smoking a perfectly well done turkey like his dad.....all areas I've witnessed him caring passionately about. But in the last couple of years not much can compare to his devotion to being a good dad. I know he consciously works and tries to better his "daddy skills" and it shows in the way Blake worships him. (I'm sure Anna will too). God bless you in your efforts Byron as you continue to give your very best as a father.

No comments: