THE SECRET TO HAPPINESS IS TO ENJOY THE PASSAGE OF TIME

Monday, September 12, 2005

Christian


My oldest son Christian, turns 9 today. Nine years old, his last year in the single digits. How did this happen? I know it makes me sound like and old fogie parent, but where did the time go?

Nine years ago tonight, we welcomed him into our arms. He was born at 11:04 p.m. We had induced labor at 6:30 that morning. I had pushed for 2 1/2 hours and finally the doctor brought out the vacuum seals. It took four of those to finally get him out. Nobody would have guessed my first baby would weigh 10 pounds. He's skin and bones today, but tall and handsome as can be. He is such a cool kid. Hey, it's my blog, I can brag on my boys all day long if I want to, nobody is forcing you to read this!

He's like me in lots of ways, he chooses crazy flavors of sno-cones and ice creams, like mango-banana just the other day. And his birthday cake of choice had lemon filling and rainbow sherbet for ice cream. He's very sure of himself, very confident and decisive. He argued the theory of evolution vs. creation with one of his best friends/son of 2 scientists for like an hour this summer. He's a humorist and he's truly funny, not just nine year old silly, he's that too, but he genuinely makes you laugh. He's got a style of his own, from his mop of blond wavy hair to his black converse all stars. He's a big brother to 3 others, a lover of amphibians and reptiles. His favorite is the Jesus Christ lizard, I never knew such a creature existed until he assured me it did. Google it, it's a cool little critter. His mind is amazing, forgetting almost nothing, it's always turning, thinking bizarre little thoughts most of us would never consider.

I took popsicles to his 3rd grade class today to celebrate his birthday, the kids ate them outside the classroom and then started a short game of kick-ball. The teacher wasn't involved, it was just what the kids, mostly boys wanted to do. I watched as Christian preferred to bounce a basketball up a flight of 15 stairs or so, taking a step and bouncing the ball a step as he climbed. Later on, after school, I asked him why he didn't want to play kick ball with the other boys? (This is a new school this year and I'm a little anxious for him to make friends.) He said he didn't really like kick-ball when kids are "in-charge", they're always fighting over the rules, who's out and who's not out, etc.... He's happy enough just doing his own thing.

I have one decade left with him, before he'll leave for college. 10 years to hug and kiss him everyday. 10 years to tease him to help him, to comfort him and advise him. 10 crucial years to train him in the way he should go, so that when he is old he would choose not to depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6) God, thank you for my eldest son, for the joy and honor it is to be his mother. Give me wisdom in parenting, wisdom everyday.

1 comment:

Byron said...

You figured out how to put a picture on your blog! Good job. Great son you have there - we miss being with your family. You and Ken are doing a great job with all of them.